It takes time and commitment, but the personal and professional rewards that come with achieving board-certified specialist status can last an entire career. And the journey toward certification is itself a meaningful way to deepen your connection to the areas of practice that most inspire you.
Here are the basics about the process of earning APTA specialist certification.
- What Is APTA Specialist Certification? A quick overview of the program — how it came to be, the concept behind the credentials, and the types of certifications available.
- The Certification Process Achieving specialist certification requires gaining approved experience and successful completion of an exam — and some specialty areas have additional requirements. Here's how the pieces fit together.
- Required Experience You may already have or be gaining the relevant experience needed for one of the two paths for specialty certification.
- The Test The certification examination is the final step in achieving your goal. Each test is a valid measure of a candidate's knowledge, skills, and abilities — and there are resources to help you prepare.
- The Cost Certification is an investment in your career. Here's how much you'll need to spend, and when.
- Timelines To Consider Application deadlines, application review turnaround, testing dates, and more.
- After You're Certified What you should know about maintaining your certification into the future.
Ready To Begin?
The Candidate Guide is the first step towards applying for certification. It contains everything you need in more detail from applying through post-examination.Explore the Candidate Guide